Possible features for upcoming versions

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2011 at 8:34 PM

* A more pronounced notification when you receive a PM. Sometimes it is not very obvious if someone queries you, especially if you are using detached tabs. I'm playing with a couple of ways to improve this.

* Possible DCC and TSEND support. I never really considered adding this because my friends and I really don't use DCC. But adding it is something to do, and TSEND combined with some enhancements to bust through NAT routers may solve the common issues. Maybe UPnP support, if I can convince myself that UPnP ever works.

* VOIP support: mostly for gamers. Using a library like Speex and using existing CTCP mechanisms takes away a good portion of the work in building a VOIP client. Specifically, the matchmaking part of the service would occur via CTCP. I envision it using channels in much the same way Ventrilo does. For example, if you normally hang out on #somechannel and a few of you want to play a game of Civ 5 together, you can join #somechannel-civ, make it invite only, and enable voice chat for that channel. Clients greet each other via CTCP and proceed to connect in a P2P fashion like Skype.

I don't think this will be the first attempt to combine VOIP and IRC, so I'll check for any de-facto standards that may be floating around.

* Finally, scripting support, IronPython would be the straightforward choice. This would probably be lower priority than the others. I haven't really used IRC scripts since the ircII days. However, it may end up being very easy to implement with the powerful options that already exist for .NET scripting.

If anyone has any thoughts, let me know.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM
i totaly love the design of your client.
finaly a propper transparency usage.

anyway, is there actually a chance you might add scripting support for it? i know you said it has lower priority...
but i am curious :)
Sep 13, 2013 at 1:00 AM
A really nice client. Everything works perfectly.
Do you have plans for SSL and SASL support? They seem very important for a secure line (not that I am an expert).